The Boomerang Alliance
At Environment Victoria, we believe in team work. That’s why we’ve joined a bunch of other environment groups to work together to make Australia a zero waste leader. We call ourselves the Boomerang Alliance.
We work with business, government and the community to reduce waste across this great country of ours.
The Boomerang Alliance is campaigning for:
- Extended Producer Responsibility for all products that pose a problem
- Waste levies in each state
- Shifting the cost of managing waste to those who make the products
- Developing the systems to help companies take-back their products at the end of their lifecycle
- Providing incentives for waste to be reprocessed locally and for alternative technologies to be used
- Encouraging new markets to grow around environmentally friendly products (including those that are made out of recycled material)
We’ve also developed a National Recycling Initiative: a series of proposals that we think will help the recycling industry secure its future. For instance, with a little bit of financial support, we can create 2,300 direct jobs and a further 5,800 jobs in service and supply to the industry.
We think that’s worth getting excited about!
Get the latest buzz on the Boomerang Alliance below or check out their website
JOINT STATEMENT: COALITION GOVERNMENT WORST IN RECENT MEMORY ON ENVIRONMENT
13 November 2014
100 Days till Victorian election: parties on notice to protect the environment
21 August 2014
Federal Budget takes the axe to climate and environment protection and Coalition’s environment credentials
13 May 2014
Environment Victoria has described this evening’s Federal Budget as permanently damaging, both to the environment, but also to the Coalition’...more
Environment protection and programs slashed in State Budget
6 May 2014
With massive cuts to environmental programs and a failure to honor its 2010 election commitments, Environment Victoria has described today’s State Budget as backwards looking and damaging for the state...more
New analysis helps Australians navigate federal election promises on environment
13 August 2013
Budget abandons outstanding environment election promises
7 May 2013
Victorians urged to get in quick before solar hot water rebates axed
Friday, 3 May 2013
Environment Victoria has warned Victorians wanting to install solar hot water that they have weeks to act before the State Government abolishes the...more
Merger puts 'fox in hen house'
11 April 2013
Peter Collins, Warrnambool Standard
DSE merger signals risk antiquated approach to environment will continue
Tuesday, 9 April 2013
Today Premier Naphine announced the merger of the Department of Sustainability and Environment and the Department of Primary Industry, as...more
Water use soars after heatwave
14 March 2013
Jason Dowling, The Age
The water use records keep tumbling this year, with Melbourne recording another record in the past week.
With temperatures well into the...more
Coca Cola and their allies are working hard to block a cash for containers scheme for Australia that has huge support in the community.
Cash for containers, or the container deposit scheme (CDS), describes systems in which people pay a deposit for packaging when they buy a product...more
Get active in the One Planet Economy this month by visiting or running a Garage Sale. October is the best month to do it because Saturday 26 October is Garage Sale Trail day.
One powerful action we can all take to reduce our impact on the planet is simply to spend less...more
Do you think you could go a week without generating any waste?
It might sound impossible, but with our guide to zero-waste living you’re in with a fighting chance. Inspired by Moreland Council’s Zero Waste Challenge we’re challenging you to go a whole week without...more
I’ve recently taken two groups of North Melbourne residents, including some of our Recycle Now Recycle Champions, to SKM Recycling in Coolaroo to learn more about what happens after we put our household recycling products into the recycling bin.
These field trips, as always, have...more
Volunteering with Environment Victoria since December 2012 has been an interesting and rewarding experience thus far. My background has previously been in farming and the construction industry so the attitudes and objectives of the working environment when compared with an organisation like...more
- Victoria: green and growing |
- State budget submission 2009–10 |
- Victoria - the Green Jobs State. Seizing the opportunities |
- Victoria: The Green Jobs State - creating a green, prosperous and socially inclusive Victoria |
- Green Jobs Summit - Program |
- Green Jobs Summit - Tony Nicholson, CEO, Brotherhood of St Laurence |
- Building comparative advantage in the low carbon world: Victoria’s clean energy jobs opportunities |
- Increasing Victoria’s competitive advantage in green jobs. Tim Piper, Australian Industry Group |
- Barriers & opportunities through energy efficiency. Paul Murfitt, Moreland Energy Foundation |
- Ensuring that disadvantaged job seekers are involved in the emerging green jobs market. Michael Horn |