DIRECT: +613 9341 8124
- Environment Victoria calls for independent assessment of the Trans Pacific Partnership
- Hazelwood coalmine fire inquiry to reopen
- Brown coal imposes $800m health cost annually on Victorians
- Madigan’s musings threaten Murray Darling Basin Plan’s promise of certainty
- Climate variability out, climate change in
Decision needed to retire Hazelwood power station and invest in the Latrobe Valley’s future
24 September 2016
Reports today that ENGIE, French owner of Hazelwood power station, may decide in October to close the plant show that global markets are shifting to clean energy and Australia needs to catch up.
“Phasing out Hazelwood will put an end to Australia’s oldest and most polluting power station and will mark the beginning of Victoria’s transition to the clean energy sources of the future. This is the biggest single step Australia can take to clean up our energy supply,” said Environment Victoria CEO Mark Wakeham.
“For the past 12 months...