Imagine a Victoria where we’re healthier and happier because we walk, ride our bikes and take the train whenever we can. Where our home appliances have the highest energy efficiency ratings possible. Every drop of water is cherished. Products are reused rather than discarded. And we brag to our neighbors about our comfortable, low-impact lives.
Now imagine yourself getting involved in one of the many ongoing campaigns and programs designed to help us overcome the barriers to sustainable living and seek effective and innovative ways to tread lightly on the earth.
Every day in Victoria, we drive places, shop for cool new gadgets, take showers, open our refrigerators to get lunch, wash our clothes, heat and cool our homes, cook dinner in the oven, and put out the trash.
Up to 40 percent of the heat that escapes from our homes in winter comes from uncovered windows. Insulation can reduce energy for heating and cooling by as much as 45 percent.
The average Australian household spends over $1000 per year on items that never get used; 89 percent ends up in landfill.
Each person who puts in a water saving showerhead and cuts their shower time from 8 to 4 minutes saves about 84 litres of water a day – that’s 30,000 litres a year. Now imagine if we multiplied that by 5 million!
Want to learn a bit more or are you ready for everything we've got?
Campaigns & Programs
When you have a baby your energy bill can go through the roof, which is why our Future Powered Families project is helping parents on low incomes save energy
Over the last decade we’ve been helping Victorians become more sustainable in their own language with our Multicultural Climate Action program!
Emerging out of our successful Multicultural Leaders in Sustainability program, Home Planet partners with AMES to work with newly arrived migrant and refugee youth across Melbourne.
Most public housing estates across Victoria don’t have recycling services. But several innovative local councils are working with the DHS to trial various recycling methods, with our help.
Flemington Green will bring sustainable living education to more of the local East African community as well as the Chinese and the Vietnamese communities...
This project is helping residents in the new sustainable public and private housing developments in Carlton make the most of their beautiful new buildings...
Language isn't a barrier when you want to do something good for the environment...
We're travelling towards a safer climate future with our smart transport campaign...
- Andrew Bolt attacks Environment Victoria.
- Students from AMES created this movie about saving energy for their sustainability-themed community project for Environment Victoria's Home Planet program.
- SBS news coverage of the Home Planet multicultural Environment Expo.
- A melting pot of culinary delights from contrasting cultures was whipped up in St Albans by AMES Home Planet students.
- On World Environment Day newly arrived young people from all corners of the world came together to stage the Home Planet multicultural Environment Expo.
- Volunteer Richard Whatley shares his experiences working on our Recycle Now project in the North Melbourne housing estate
- Environment Victoria launch clean energy fact sheets in 12 different languages!
- Green Renters' Guide - sustainable living tips for renters
- We ran a sustainability themed arts project for kids under 12. Here's what happened...
- 45 young migrants and refugees have graduated from our Home Planet program with a Certificate I in Active Volunteering
- Jewish Environmental Coalition (JECO) launch Shavu’a Tov: Good Week, Sustainable Week
- Check out our new sustainability translations - in community languages from Amharic to Zomi!
- Young leaders help restore grasslands in Melbourne's west
- Arabic-speaking women visit Melbourne's own sustainable village
- Check out our Sustainability for Diverse Communities Resource Hub
- Young multicultural leaders visit Sugarloaf Reservoir
- Indigenous leaders taking sustainability to the community
- We've put together some great info on how to get ready for a green baby