Last Sunday night an extreme heatwave caused local network faults, which led to power outages in parts of Victoria. It should have been a wake-up call that global warming and extreme weather are already affecting our lives and our cities.
But instead a number of Victorian Liberal MPs took advantage of the situation to spread misinformation, falsely blaming the outages on the closure of Hazelwood.
Ideas on what to write:
- Remind Mr Southwick that you are his constituent.
- Express your disappointment that he is spreading misinformation about Hazelwood.
- Note that the Australian Energy Market Operator said there was more than enough energy supply on Sunday night and that blackouts were due to network faults.
- Say why you want the Victorian Coalition to develop positive policies to cut Victoria’s climate pollution, support clean energy and protect our communities from the impacts of climate change.
- Ask when the Liberal Party will be releasing its environment and climate policy (it’s over 10 years since they had one).
*Please remember to be polite and stick to the facts
Here are the tweets from Coalition MPs:
If you are looking for more information about how hot weather affects our energy system, check out our recent blog post.
Read the blog post