Yarra Riverkeepers Association
We are a not-for-profit community organisation formed in 2004 by a group of citizens who love the Yarra River, and care for its future. Our aim is to protect and restore the Yarra River and its tributaries, from source to mouth, for current and future generations. We are a member of the growing and successful international Waterkeeper movement of community groups around the world caring for their local waterways.
What We Do
We tell the river’s “story”, highlighting its wonders and its challenges. We monitor its health and activities affecting it. We run educational events, river tours and give informative presentations to schools, community groups, the authorities and businesses. We work closely with numerous government bodies and NGO’s and advocate directly and through the news media for river care.
What We’ve Achieved
- Established the first regular boat patrol of the Yarra
- Instrumental in the state government’s decisions to cap the amount of water extracted from the river and provide it with environmental flows
- Provided on-water inspection tours to over 200 community and business leaders and politicians
- Delivered over 300 presentations and lectures
- Spoken up for the Yarra in over 200 TV, radio and print media articles
- Earned the reputation of being the pre-eminent voice of the Yarra River
We are grateful for the funding and support of Melbourne Water, EPA, Parks Vic, Ruffin-Falkiner Trust, Environment Victoria, Waterkeeper Alliance, City of Yarra, Shire of Nillumbik, Port Phillip and Westernport Catchment Management Authority, John Holland and, of course, our dedicated members.
- +61 408 850 810
- Yarra Riverkeeper Association Inc., P.O. Box 210, Fitzroy VIC 3065
- infoyarrariver [dot] org [dot] au