Coal Energy Australia has been granted $30 million for the development of a $143 million demonstration plant producing fertiliser, oil and high value coal used in steelmaking. This facility will be at EnergyAustralia’s Yallourn mine, and products are proposed to be exported from Port Anthony in Corner Inlet.
The project will entail:
- Building a pre-commercial lignite upgrading plant to process high value metallurgicalgrade carbon and other hydrocarbon products.
- Integrating technologies for the pyrolysis of coal, based on coking, semi‐coking and advanced heating technology.
- Applying coal pyrolysis technology.
Production of three products:
- Low volatile solid fuel or char – a substitute for PCI coal in steel manufacture.
- Pyrolysis oil, which can be distilled into various oils, including diesel oil for industrial heating.
- Ammonium sulphate for use as a fertiliser or soil conditioner.